In our modern world, there is great focus on staying healthy during pregnancy and various supplements, proper diet, exercise etc. are recommended. This is wonderful and certainly important for the wellbeing of Mom and child. But what about the postpartum period? It is common for Moms to go back to work few weeks after the delivery, wanting to get back to their active life as soon as possible, and not respecting the need for rejuvenation after childbirth.
From an Ayurvedic perspective, the first 42 days after delivery are vital. This postpartum period is a unique window which calls for special care.
A new Mom is as delicate as her baby physically, mentally and emotionally for six weeks postpartum. In case of a C-section or complications, this period is longer.
When Mom knows how to take care of herself and has a team to support her during this sacred time, she experiences great benefits such as:
- Faster recovery and rejuvenation from fatigue of pregnancy and delivery
- An uplifted and positive state of mind
- Improved digestion (minimal constipation or gas)
- Proper elimination (no constipation)
- Stronger milk supply and immunity
- Deeper bonding with baby and easier relationship with husband
Ayurveda, the traditional medicine of India, understands the changes that Moms undergo during childbirth and what is required for proper recovery and rejuvenation.